From Vienna to the whole worldKarl Zizala founded ZKW in Vienna in 1938. The brand name is derived from the initials of his name plus "W" for the Austrian capital ("Vienna", "Wien" in German).
The company was expanded in 1954 with the addition of the headlamp factory in Wieselburg, where metal components were initially made for the Lohner and Puch factories. Today the site forms a central core element of the ZKW Group production network.
As a sector leader, the ZKW Group as a whole employs around 5,000 people at its sites in Austria, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, China, India, Mexico and the USA.